The Fantastic Five/ Project concept development Vol.2

I have just changed my concept for the project. I felt that previous one was too sad and not inspiring enough for me. So I have came up with another one. One that seems to be closer to me.

My idea now is to work with shapes, silhouettes and construction, showing various textures of fabrics, mainly rawness of them; different approach to how clothing could or should be worn, expressing ageing of it and questioning the standards we have established in this area.

The Art Story [.org] describes Primitivism: 

"In many ways, Primitivism provided artists a way to critique the stagnant traditions of European painting. Primitive art's use of simpler shapes and more abstract figures differed significantly from traditional European styles of representation, and modern artists such as Gaugin, Picasso, and Matisse used these form to revolutionise painting and sculpture." (theartstory.org)

Following these thoughts, I have decided to focus on this aspect of Primitivism, as a movement of change, questioning what is established, simpler shapes and forms and abstraction. I will study art created in within this movement and try to translate it to the world of fashion in my own way. I will also incorporate main 'rules' of this style to my work in order to keep it true to a core of my inspiration.


photo by Filippo Fior


The main concept of my project is to create clothing enlarged in its proportions, in a size of prints on fabric. Textured fibers will imitate an enlarged image of normal materials. Basically, I would like to show adults wearing clothing as if they were kids wearing adult clothing. Pieces cut and redone in some places, big stripes, gathering to make clothing smaller etc.



Sources:

Fior, F., 2019. Look 21. [image] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2020-ready-to-wear/anrealage/slideshow/collection#21> [Accessed 14 April 2021].

Comments

  1. This idea has the scope for a lot of inventiveness in terms of the shapes/styles and fabrics you choose to use. I think it has the room to incorporate the time capsule idea as a PURPOSE of your project, a reason for it existing.
    The last paragraph of this post in particular articulates your idea very well. With that in mind, have a look at this link from Stylus (it's from Autumn 2016)and the work of Alessandro Michele at Gucci: https://www.stylus.com/pbvvqba and his collection from 2019, with unorthodox shapes and silhouettes that ties in (I think) with what you are working towards here. Link: https://hypebae.com/2019/2/gucci-fall-winter-2019-milan-fashion-week-alessandro-michele-show

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment