Self portrait

 In this post you can read about my self portrait task research on sculptor artist Gosia as well as see my final piece of work I have done in clay.

Gosia is a Polish artist living in Canada since 1994. Her artistic education led her to sculpting. Since her attention had been drawn entirely to this medium in 2013, her work has been shown in many art galleries across US and Canada. She currently lives in Toronto. 


Gosia's sculpture


What I really like about this artist's work is that she often keeps the original colour of the material she uses as a part of the final piece or at least paints the surface monotone so that the attention of the viewers' is drawn to the shapes and decorative marks of paint on the piece. Her symbolic use of motive of flowers is also very intriguing to me.


Gosia's sculpture


Gosia's sculpture

Even though I have looked up this artist after completing my own clay piece and have searched for the artist working in style and material similar to what I have used for my work, I really appreciate her work and I am still very much inspired by it. I really like motives, colours and their use in her work and the poetic approach to creating portraits. I can clearly see similarities between her and my own work as well as differences which include my more fantasy and abstract approach to the topic while Gosia's pieces are more realistic and human like in shapes.

Here is my work I have done in clay and acrylics:










Sources:

Puig, A., 2021. Intimate Reflections of Us: Interview With Sculptor Gosia — Create! Magazine. [online] Create! Magazine. Available at: <https://createmagazine.com/read/gosia-sculpture-interview> [Accessed 13 April 2021].

Comments

  1. Some good description of Gosia's work here. Would have been good to have seen some concept sketches of your work and process shots of the making of your piece and maybe a bit more of an explanation as to how your piece represents you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment