Project research: Gucci Fall 2019 RTW

 In this post, I will describe an inspiration that this collection gave me and how it will influence my work for this project.

Loose threads from tailoring perfectly match my concept by symbolising passing time and decay of clothing. I would like to use this technique borrowed from tailoring and use it for my collection to underline this idea. 



Quilting is another technique related to sewing process that I would like to incorporate to my collection as it creates an interesting texture and visually pleasing look. It also reminds me of old blankets that could be a great reference to old times and passing time. I also really like strongly tailored shoulders from look No. 3. I like the feeling of powers and confidence they bring on stage. Their size is also very adequate to my oversize idea of clothing for this collection and unbalanced proportions of clothing.



The use of gathering which we can see being used in this shirt, is an element that could help me a lot with achieving great volumes by squeezing fabric in some places and leaving it free in another. I am very curious what silhouettes I will be able to achieve with the use of this technique. "Randomly" situated gathers could potentially create interesting unevenness of silhouette and bring unbalance which  I am very interested in for this project.




High waist line visually elongates legs but could also represent wearing trousers that are too big when cut widely. I would like to create pair of high waisted trousers in my collection too, and use it to underline the size of the clothing visually. Position of a belt on the waist also helps to achieve desired illusion of wearing oversized clothing.



Uneven button fastening is a feature that could bring some life and volume to my designs. This detail will not only be a styling aspect of my collection, I will design my clothes to incorporate this feature so that it becomes a structural, pattern element of my designs. I will describe it in more detail in the future posts with a research about Y/ Project collections.


Summary

To sum things up, I am very pleased with amount of inspirational elements and techniques I have gained from research on this collection. I am very happy with possibilities that they create for me. Building upon a core story of my project, ways of creating a interesting silhouettes and creating intriguing textures and volumes are only a few of the elements I would like to keep in mind while designing my collection and that I have come up with thankfully to the research on this collection.






Visual sources:

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#2> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#3> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#13> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#20> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#41> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#15> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#74> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#51> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#9> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Gucci Fall 2019 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/gucci/slideshow/collection#49> [Accessed 22 April 2021].


Comments

  1. This is well directed research that reflects what you discussed in your tutorial last week - Look 3 in particular is a good example of what you described you are aiming at - the unorthodox silhouette, angular shapes etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment