Project research: Y/ Project Fall 2021 Menswear

 In this post, I will describe collection created by Y/ Project and inspirations I got from some of their garments just like I did with Gucci in previous post.


Draping technique used in this and next three looks is something that I really like about them. In my opinion it really brings a lot of life to clothing and makes it way more interesting to look at. I also like the fact that there is unlimited amount of results we can end up with by using this technique. I would really like to inspire by designs by this technique and achieve this fascinating effect. I think it will work with concept of enormous size of my garments very well.



Multiple collar is an intriguing idea that allows designer to create garment that is more outstanding. I would like to experiment with it and create similar outcome inspired by these four looks designed by Glen Martens. I might use different fabrics, sizes, shapes or colours to experiment with them in my design and to end up with something new and more personal to me and my style.







Clothing moved on a body/ draped in a certain way to look like it is too big/ not fitting. We can see this idea being implemented i.a. in looks No. 11, 19 or 40. I would like to play with this concept and create garments that question the way we wear clothes. I think that this idea suits my project concept very well and will be a nice touch to all the other details and techniques I will use for my collection.


Fabric shifted upside down in look 36 or possibly lining fabric shown on the outside of the garments is a very interesting detail that Glen Martens has implemented into this dress. I would like to use this as an inspiration for my design and combine it with other ideas I have to exaggerate the enlarged clothing by flipping it outside at some places to show the bonus, unnecessary fabric being worn by somebody.





Deconstruction is a very familiar aesthetic to me which has been used by i.a. Martin Margiela in his collection in the past. I have been inspired by his work and use of this motive in the past and I am still very intrigues by it. I would like to work with it more and use it even better this time than I did for my last collection. I believe I am now able to achieve even greater results and I am willing to try again. I think I might be interested in applying it to my 3D piece of this project or if not, at least keeping it in mind for the 2D outcomes.



Summary

To sum things up, I like what I have seen in this collection and I am hoping for it to have a great influence on my own work. I think that many techniques or construction elements included in this collection will allow me to show the concept of my project even better through my designs.





Visual sources:

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#2

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#28

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#3

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#6

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#4

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#51

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#8

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#35

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#11

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#19

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#40

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#36

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#49


Comments

  1. Some extraordinary examples here of the possibilities of allowing the clothing to flow across and around the body - I'd like to see some sketches where you include the kind of dynamism you have dislplayed in these reference images.

    Don't forget to reference your work properly using Harvard Conventions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment