Project research: Fabrics and Prints
In this post, I will describe which fabrics I would like to use in my collection. My concept for this project anticipates the use of heavily textured fabrics in order to exaggerate the effect of increased size of garments. Therefore, I have chosen multiple fabrics with this characteristic that will fit my vision of the collection perfectly. Please note that colours of the fabrics presented below are not a colour palette for this collection. The main purpose of these pictures is to showcase the texture of the materials.
Double Wool Crepe is a suiting fabric with very interesting texture due to a twist of yarns in the process of weaving. I like the look of this fabric even though I did not yet have an opportunity to see it in person. I believe it will make an awesome material for the potential suiting part of my collection.
Satin Georgette is a lightweight fabric used for i.a. blouses, lining or scarves. Its surface is wrinkled due to the alternate twist direction of the thread. I think this material will be perfect for scarves if I decided to include them in my collection. I may also use it as a lining in my suits.
Cotton Batiste is a lightweight fabric that is perfect for summer clothing or garment lining. It can be satin weaved which is its great characteristic due to a very smooth texture of the fabric. I like the idea of using this material for shirting in my collection to contrast the very textured fabrics used for other garments. Due to its characteristics, Cotton Batiste drapes beautifully which is be a great deal for me during creation of a shirt silhouette with voluminous elements.
One of a heavier fabrics that I like for this project is Hopsack Weave used i.a. for suiting and trousers. Due to its loose weave structure, Hopsack weave is a perfect choice for summer suiting which allows for air circulation and comfort for a wearer. What I like the most about this material is the heavy texture of it and the fact that loose weave pulls yarns which creates this very worn and used/ old look to a garment that I am looking for in this collection.
Cotton Seersucker is another great summer and hight temperature friendly fabric suitable for suits, shirts and shorts. It is very lightweight and has an amazing uneven texture. I would love to create my 3D piece for this project with this material to get to know it better.
Cotton Poplin in white and blue stripes is one of the most popular shirting fabric in the world. I would like to use it in my collection to keep this common feel to it but shock the viewer with a cut of the garment.
This fabric is very popular for polo shirts production. Its textured surface brings something interesting to the final clothing without making it too outstanding. If I will be willing to create polo shirt inspired garment for my collection, I will definitely experiment with this fabric.
Corduroy is another of my favourites for this project. It comes in a variety of different textures and has, in my opinion, great look to it. This material is very versatile and can be used for many different purposes which gives me even more room to play with. I would really like to design a pair of pants or a whole suit with this fabric.
Plisse is a fabric treatment allowing for creation of vertical stripes on fabric. I like it because it creates something more interesting than plain surface and can be used in very non standard situations.
Prints
I like the subtle look of this print. At the same time, it could make the garment look more interesting and more welcoming in a way for some people. I believe that floral patterns are not reserved just for women and that men could look great in i.a. shirt with print like this. Colour could be changed of course to preferable one that suits the whole collection colour palette.
Other prints I am interested in using for this project are Argyle pattern and Polka dots as well as check of some kind. I will also look for other patterns during my primary research this week.
Visual sources:
Joelandsonfabrics.com. n.d. Moss Green Double Wool Crêpe. [online] Available at: <https://www.joelandsonfabrics.com/uk/2570> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Silk Satin Georgette Fabric, G., n.d. Silk Satin Georgette Fabric Silk Georgette Fabric Satin | Etsy. [online] Etsy. Available at: <https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/228672067/silk-satin-georgette-fabric-silk> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Ray Stitch. n.d. Organic Cotton Batiste - White. [online] Available at: <https://www.raystitch.co.uk/products/organic-cotton-batiste-white> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Universal Tailor. n.d. Hopsack Weave - Universal Tailor. [online] Available at: <https://www.universaltailor.com/considering-a-hopsack-weave-in-your-tailored-suit/> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Alibaba.com. n.d. Gots Certified Organic Cotton Gingham Check Seersucker Shirting Fabric - Buy Gots Certified Organic Cotton Gingham Check Seersucker Shirting Fabric,Organic Cotton Gingham Check Seersucker Shirting Fabric,Gots Certified Organic Cotton Seersucker Fabric Product on Alibaba.com. [online] Available at: <https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/GOTS-certified-organic-cotton-gingham-check_62455311000.html> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Fabrics, C., n.d. Cotton Poplin Guide – Stretch, Patterned Fabric for Shirts and Dresses. [online] Tissura.com. Available at: <https://tissura.com/articles/poplin-fabrics> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Homepage, S. and fabric, V., n.d. [Hot Item] 180GSM 100% Cotton Oxford Cotton Shirt Fabric. [online] Made-in-China.com. Available at: <https://qdlavender.en.made-in-china.com/product/NBaxTqYyHtpj/China-180GSM-100-Cotton-Oxford-Cotton-Shirt-Fabric.html> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Koala Kreations. n.d. Dress Fabric - Corduroy Fabric - Great Low Prices - Shop Now Koala Kreations. [online] Available at: <https://www.koalakreations.co.uk/koalakreationsonlineshop/prod_7143347-Soft-Corduroy-Stretch-Fabric-Terracotta.html> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Minerva.com. n.d. Minerva. [online] Available at: <https://www.minerva.com/mp/1014896/laval-pleated-plisse-fabric-ivory&variant=1014539> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Just Fabrics. n.d. Vintage Floral Fabric / Grey. [online] Available at: <https://www.justfabrics.co.uk/curtain-fabric-upholstery/grey-petite-floral-fabric/> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Just Fabrics. n.d. Vintage Floral Fabric / Blue. [online] Available at: <https://www.justfabrics.co.uk/curtain-fabric-upholstery/blue-petite-floral-fabric/> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
fabric, n.d. Two metre length of blue and white floral cotton dress fabric | Etsy. [online] Etsy. Available at: <https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/794939063/two-metre-length-of-blue-and-white?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=floral+fabric&ref=sr_gallery-10-44&organic_search_click=1> [Accessed 3 May 2021].
Book:
2020. Textilepedia. Hong Kong: Fashionary International Ltd, pp.79, 83, 89, 90, 99, 114, 216, 227, 215, 230.












As fabrics these are well chosen - particularly interesting is the heavier fabrics, looking forward to seeing how these work with the lighter fabrics you have included here. Cotton seersucker with Double Wool Crepe as a combination could work.
ReplyDelete