Project research: Y/ Project other garment construction inspirations

In this post, I will write about all the rest of the intriguing for me garments from Y/ Project collections and how they refer to my vision and concept of my project. 


Twisted or draped on body garments that imitate too large clothing are interesting to me and I like the idea of excess fabric hanging on the body in order to show the size of the garment. I also think that these elements can be use to play with silhouette or smaller shapes of the body more which I really like. I can easily imagine it in my collection to change the proportions of hips or play with a size of the torso by creating more contrast in volume between certain areas.







Uneven button fastening on construction rather than styling level allows clothes to drape better on body and create interesting shapes. I like the fact that this detail does not look intended however it definitely is and that gives design an advantage over the viewer to trick him visually and play with shapes in unique way.








I also like elements of clothing that are exaggerated and that create extra shapes in silhouette. A great example of it is look 8 and 13 from Spring 2020 or look 33 from Spring 2021 by Y/ Project. These details bring something weird,  different, catch attention of a viewer. I like how simple these elements look and how interesting and visually pleasing they are at the same time. They could also imitate enlarged clothing for my project very well or be used to play with proportions in my designs more.









When I first saw this look, I got this really great idea about putting a sweater over the suit as a styling element of an outfit. Now after thinking about it more, I imagine it being something more. I have an idea of incorporating sweater as a part of a suit of at least changing proportions of it so that it creates some kind of visual illusion (high contrast between the size of two garments of distorted proportions of around certain parts of the body).







What intrigued me in looks 29 & 34 from Fall 2020 collection is the overlapping and mixing of clothes on models' bodies. I really like this effect because it looks very conceptual and experimental which I am into. It also allows for pairing clothing never seen together like this before. I can lead to reflection on how we wear clothing which is why I would like to try it in my collection too at some point.









Combination and pairing of white garment with a rich print or texturised clothing with a very different kind of it is something that caught my attention while going through footage of Y/ Project's collections. I really like these two ideas and the differences they showcase. At the same time, they do not really put neither of the garments on the pit and do not hide the other one in a shadow. It can be compared to some kind of symbiosis that occurs between clothing in an outfit. I would love to achieve this kind of look in my collection so that all of the garment have their time to shine and space to breathe.













I find folds on clothing very interesting. Not only they change the size of it but also add an interesting to look at texture to a garment. They can be small and minor or rather bigger in size and become an important part of garment's construction and need to be thought through during the process of pattern drafting. I like this idea and would like to play with it and possibly generate valuable outcomes to use in my collection.







When looking through this collection, it was one of the first times I have seen "gathering"/ folds or any that major change in garment construction when it comes to a knitwear. And I loved it! Not only it allows for creation of an amazing textures and new shapes but also may have an impact on the whole process of designing a construction for a garment. At the end, I am a huge fan of this solution and I ma hoping for some creative outcomes of work from me in this topic in the future.






And the last but certainly not least, Y/ Project trousers. This idea for tapering the pants is really good. I would like to influence my work by it and let me be inspired at some extend by this solution.





Visual sources:

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Spring 2021 Menswear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#28> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Spring 2021 Menswear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#33> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Spring 2021 Menswear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#5> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Pre-Fall 2020 Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/pre-fall-2020/y-project/slideshow/collection#13> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Pre-Fall 2020 Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/pre-fall-2020/y-project/slideshow/collection#28> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Pre-Fall 2020 Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/pre-fall-2020/y-project/slideshow/collection#9> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Pre-Fall 2020 Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/pre-fall-2020/y-project/slideshow/collection#24> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Y/Project Spring 2020 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2020-ready-to-wear/y-project/slideshow/collection#6> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Y/Project Spring 2020 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2020-ready-to-wear/y-project/slideshow/collection#8> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Y/Project Spring 2020 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2020-ready-to-wear/y-project/slideshow/collection#9> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Y/Project Spring 2020 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2020-ready-to-wear/y-project/slideshow/collection#13> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2019. Y/Project Fall 2019 Menswear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#13> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Fall 2020 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2020-ready-to-wear/y-project/slideshow/collection#29> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Fall 2020 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2020-ready-to-wear/y-project/slideshow/collection#34> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2020. Y/Project Spring 2021 Menswear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2021-menswear/y-project/slideshow/collection#33> [Accessed 22 April 2021].

Vogue. 2017. Y/Project Spring 2018 Ready-to-Wear Fashion Show. [online] Available at: <https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2018-ready-to-wear/y-project/slideshow/collection#14> [Accessed 22 April 2021].





Comments

  1. Look 29 is the one design here that I think fits into your project idea, with the off and over the shoulder simultaneously.
    You have posted a lot of secondary research, start your primary research with sketches (B+W and colour)/photographs that start to describe the effect that this research has had on the development of your project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment