Research on expressionism - set project

In this post, I will write about main characteristics of Expressionism and describe how it relates to Fauvism, which is similar art movement born in France in early 1900's. 

Expressionism in art can be described as a movement that allowed artists to illustrate their impartial emotions and relations with the outside world rather than biased reality. Usually, artists achieved this outcome by deformation and simplifying followed by expressive colours (Britannica, 2008).



In a simpler, less formal language, expressionism is a trend born in Germany in 1905 . It was used by artists to express their emotions, present surrounding world in a new, subjective way. This style is spontaneous, allows for self-expression and encourages to go out of the box and experiment with forms, shapes and colours freely. Its assumptions are opposite to impressionistic.

Fauvism

Fauvism is a style of painting initiated in France in early 1900's. There was many Fauvist painters practicing this style at the time but most of them did only for a few years. By the year 1908, many of them moved their attention from this style for Cubism. The most known painter creating within this style was Henri Matisse. His vibrant, bold paintings began this trend. He was the only artist creating Fauve paintings till the end of his career. Through this, he was able to achieve balance between play of colours, unbalanced shapes and realism of surrounding world. 


As we can read in Britannica (2008) "The Fauves painted directly from nature, as Impressionists had before them, but Fauvist works were invested with a strong expressive reaction to the subjects portrayed." This quote can only assure us in the fact that artist's emotions were the most influential element for the process of painting within this style. It also showcases how important for Fauvism was expressionism founded in the Germany at the same time. These two were fairly similar, and shared various rules/ values. 




At the time when Fauvism was also brought to the landscape painting, Louis Vauxcelles (1906) commented it this way: “Our young landscapists see truthfully ‘because they see decoratively.’ The site is for them a pretext, a decor in which the figures are to be enclosed by arabesques.” Our interpretation for this sentence can be following: Vauxcelles saw the purpose and meaning behind the current of Fauvism. He wanted people to understand the importance of the new point of view that was driving painters to create their "weird" or "outstanding" paintings. He really appreciated this emotional and personal approach to painting.

"I draw from nature the elements necessary to my composition, I reassemble them, I simplify them . . . I transform and twist them until they are fixed in my thinking. I am not particularly concerned to render effects of light and atmosphere. (...) I seek above all the equilibrium of volumes, the rhythm of lines. . . . By an act of will . . . I impose harmony." - Simon Bussy (1907)

What this quote is telling us is that painting realistic landscapes and playing with shadows and light was not the point of Fauvist  painters. Their will was to create images true to their feelings and playful vision. Not accurate colours and distorted proportions was something that fascinated these painters.

However, Fauvism did not stop on painting and had influence on other forms of art too. Benjamin (1993, p. 309) also writes about rhythmic lines becoming a part of Italian Mannerist figures called figura serpentinata. These figures were supposedly continuing their visual line's flow from all angles which made them look very intriguing.


Impact of Expressionism and Fauvism on my set project

All of this artistic, emotional approach to art seems so nice on paper and when we look at pieces of masters. However, what actual influence or impact can both of those trends have on my work?

I would like to create my collection with the idea of representing emotions by designing clothing in a way that each outfit will differ significantly from another. When seeing it, people could relate to my garments emotionally. That would bring the intended effect. I do not want to name nor describe these emotions because in my opinion, that could eliminate the mysterious, not clear image of what is actually being told through this collection. I would like to keep it that way and let the audience interpret it the way they feel about it by themselves. 

In my opinion Expressionistic and Fauvistic vision of emotional art does not have to stop at creating process but can expand to interpretation of it, and the satisfaction, filling of understanding it brings.

My garments will have diverse silhouettes, finishing, stitching methods, cuffs, collars and maybe even colours so they can trigger different emotions for various people looking at them. I can imagine the situation when two people interpret one piece of clothing differently and feel their own, unique emotions because of it. I would like people to do not agree on this and to stay with their opinion even-though everybody else would tell them they are wrong. I would like to create something, that people feel is theirs, even though they do not own it.

That is my idea for the collection and my research on Expressionism and Fauvism for set project.



Sources:

Britannica, 2008. Expressionism Artistic Style. [online] Encyclopedia Britannica. Available at: <https://www.britannica.com/art/Expressionism> [Accessed 26 January 2021].


Britannica, 2008. Edvard Munch: The Scream. [image] Available at: <https://www.britannica.com/art/Expressionism> [Accessed 26 January 2021].


ADAGP, 2020. Andre Derain: Henry Matisse 1905. [image] Available at: <https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/f/fauvism> [Accessed 26 January 2021].


Benjamin, R., 1993. The Decorative Landscape, Fauvism, and the Arabesque of Observation. The Art Bulletin, [online] 75(2), pp.295-316. Available at: <https://www.jstor.org/stable/3045950> [Accessed 26 January 2021].

Comments

  1. You have good research here but emotions are not a concept and expressionism is not just about emotions - it is about revealing what is inside - outwardly more of an uncovering/exposing. You need more that emotions as every piece of art/fashion you could say involves an emotional response but I advise against this as a concept

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that. I will work on the concept and post an update on it very soon. Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment