On the last Thursday's class of Art Portfolio, we had our very first lecture. Here is some information about the artist I have learned.
''While I recognize the necessity for a basis of observed reality...
true art lies in a reality that is felt.'' -Odilon Redon
Odilon Redon was a French painter born in April 1840, who's early work was focused around fantasy images, portraits and imaginary characters. For the first half of his career, he was creating monochromatic images inspired by literature he was reading. After some time, he started to create with the use of colour. His later artworks are based on his observations of surrounding world. Here are some of my favourite paintings of his.
Odilon Redon ''Butterflies''
Odilon Redon "Guardian Spirit of the Waters"
Odilon Redon "The Eye, Like a Strange Balloon Moves Toward Infinity"
What I really like about these monochromatic pieces is the fantastic/ unrealistic aspect of what they represent and overall mysterious aura they have around them. I also like this colourful, full of life painting which is something totally different from artist's previous work. Redon's work really speaks to me in a sense that, his paintings deliver emotions. I am very into art that changes something in people and makes them think about it more deeply. Because of that, work of Odilon Redon's is very much in my area of interest.
Sources:
Britannica (1999) Odilon Redon. [Online] Available from: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Odilon-Redon [Accessed 19/01/21]
The Art Story, Odilon Redon French Painter and Printmaker. [Online] Available at: https://www.theartstory.org/artist/redon-odilon/#nav [Accessed 19/01/21]
Good work here and some good commentary on your thoughts
ReplyDelete